I am having a weird week – I went out to visit Joyce to get the questions for Wednesday Hodgepodge and realized it IS Wednesday! Yikes! I think I am off-kilter because the kids came back to my house a day earlier than usual… their dad’s furnace is going out, so they stayed with me so they didn’t have to be cold.
Since I am all kinds of late today, let’s just get going with the Hodgepodge questions!
1. Here we are entering the last month of the year 2020. 2020!! Every year The Oxford English Dictionary publishing team chooses a word that captures the general mood of the year we’re leaving behind, or the one word that will leave a lasting impact on the world at large. This year they needed sixteen words in order to cover the whole enchilada.
While two of the other major dictionaries selected pandemic as their word of the year, Oxford came up with a long list including – bushfire, impeachment, acquittal, coronavirus, COVID-19, lockdown, social distancing, reopening, Black Lives Matter, Cancel Culture, BIPOC, mail-in, belarusian, moonshot, net zero (read more about each word here)
Of the words listed which ONE would you say should be in the number 1 spot? Which word/phrase on this list would you be happy to never hear again?
I think social distancing should be the number 1 word of the year. We never heard that word until this year… and its so odd to say. It’s like they mashed up social media with keeping your distance and came up with social distance.
As for which one I would like to never hear again? Mail-in. I am so tired of hearing about the mail-in ballots and how it was rigged. No matter who you voted for, do you truly think that every state got together and was plotting to overthrow the voting process? If they were, the Democrats would have won everything, not just certain races or areas of the country.
2. What one word from your own list of words describing this year sums up/best reflects your 2020? Tell us why.
Home improvement. Since I have been stuck at home, social distancing and quarantining during lockdown – I have been doing projects around my house. Normally, I am too busy to get things done like this. I have completely redone my master bath – flooring, paint, vanity, sink, lights, etc. I have also repainted my front door and shutters, power washed my house, organized a bunch, and now I am in the process of painting my bedroom walls.
3. Do you like peppermint? Peppermint mocha, a candy cane, peppermint bark, peppermint tea, York Peppermint Pattie, peppermint ice cream…of the peppermint treats listed, which one is your favorite? Will you bake anything featuring peppermint this holiday season?
I love peppermint – but it has to be in something. I am not a big eat a candy cane person. I love peppermint bark, York Peppermint Patties, peppermint ice cream and peppermint mochas. My favorite on the list is York Peppermint Patties. I don’t think I am baking anything with peppermint this year – but you never know.
4. Besides Christmas, what do you associate the color red with? How about the color green?
When I think red, I always think of cardinals (or red birds, depending on where you are from.) Green, I always think of trees.
5. Is your tree up? Real or artificial? Is your house decorated? Is your shopping done? Started? Wrapped? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Scrooge-like and 10 being Buddy the Elf, how’s your Christmas spirit?
Our tree is up – we always do artificial and this year it is decorated with a Harry Potter theme. The kids and I made most of the tree decorations. My house is decorated – some of my nativities are out and some other Christmas decorations. My shopping is about 75% done but nothing is wrapped. My front hallway looks like the Amazon distribution center. I would say I am about an 8 on the Christmas scale. I love Christmas – going to see the lights, the gift giving, the food…
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I am in the process of making some new planner stickers – so if you are into that, make sure you keep an eye out for some super adorable new designs! I have revamped them to fit the Erin Condren Vertical planner for 2021 and the Happy Planner! Meanwhile, check out my other free stickers and free printables here.