Happy Wednesday! Hopefully, you are hunkered down and staying warm, if you are in the winter-wonderland of snow. Sounds like a perfect time to grab a cup of hot chocolate and check out my answers for Wednesday Hodgepodge!
Wanna play along? Grab the questions on Joyce’s page, answer them on yours and then link up!
1. This week’s Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up ‘celebrating’ Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live?
I do not celebrate Lent – as far as I know, the church I was brought up in didn’t do anything more than its role in the resurrection story. Of course, I say “as far as I know,” because I was usually helping my dad do snacks for Children’s Church. Other than Easter, I don’t really do anything special for Lent.
The kids and I were attending Church, but when I moved to the apartment, it was too far to drive. Now that I am back in town, I was going to start going, but then Covid stopped everything. Right now, our church is doing online or “drive-in” services.
2. When is the last time you sat beside a ‘real’ fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire?
I think it was at my boyfriend’s parents’ house during summer before last. You know, pre-Covid. We had a big bonfire for 4th of July. I have an electric fireplace – I wish I had a “real” one. My absolute favorite thing to cook over a fire is fire pies. I think some people call them hobo pies. We always made pizza ones with cheese, sauce, and pepperoni. Sometimes we made cherry or apple ones too, with pie filling.
3. Something that’s currently got you fired up?
Probably not the best day to be asking me this.
4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski?
I do like cabbage, but not just “straight” by itself. Cabbage is not on my menu. Of those dishes, I would have to say cabbage rolls or kielbasa and cabbage. My ex-mother-in-law used to make the BEST cabbage rolls. I could never quite make them like her – but, before she passed away she told me the secret ingredient– green peppers.
5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00?
I rarely have or use cash – I always use my debit card. I do have a coin jar – and it has some pennies in it. I keep telling the kids that is our Hawaii fund, but I am not sure it would get us an Uber to the airport. Last thing I purchased for a $1.00 was a taco last night. Last thing I purchased for $5.00 was two boxes of tissues.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I seriously wish Joyce wouldn’t have mentioned cabbage rolls in the hodgepodge questions. Now, I want to make some and I am pretty much snowed in until the snow removal people come clean my drive. I can almost smell them simmering all day in the pot and then being dished out with some dark rye butter bread. Thanks Joyce. lol.