Happy Veteran’s Day to all! If you are a veteran or on active duty, thank you for keeping our great country safe and giving us the freedom to be Americans! God bless you and yours. Since it is Wednesday, that means it is time for Wednesday Hodgepodge… the Veteran’s Day edition! So, grab a cup of coffee (red cup optional) and join in on the fun!
1. In two or three sentences tell us what Veteran’s Day means to you?
Veteran’s Day is a time to remember those who sacrifice daily to keep our great country safe, and to honor those who have paid the greatest sacrifice in the name of freedom. However, I personally think that we should remember and honor these great individuals daily, not just once a year.
2. What’s your favorite film with a patriotic theme woven into the storyline?
I really can’t think of a patriotic movie that is my favorite… maybe A Few Good Men?
3. Flu shot-yes or no? If you answered no, do you plan to get a flu shot? If not, why not? Have you ever had the flu?
Don’t get me started. NO FLU SHOTS. I do not get them and I do not let my children get them. In fact, I have gotten into screaming matches with the pediatrician over them. I don’t have a problem with normal immunizations… but, I have a serious problem with injecting something into my body that hasn’t been tested completely and is rushed to be completed each year prior to flu season. I have had the flu… and I was even waylaid for 3 weeks with it on and off. But, we will NEVER get flu shots.
4. I’ve seen lots of people posting pictures of their Christmas trees up and decorated. Many stores have had Christmas on display since well before Halloween. Red cups are back at Starbucks, sans the holiday decor, and that has some people up in arms. What are your thoughts on all the holiday ruckus this second week of November?
Holy crap. Red cups? Really! In the crazy world we live in, Christians have nothing else to complain about? Do you really, truly think that someone in some advertising firm said, “Let’s irk the Christians by making plain red cups and showing our anti-Christianity side.” Uh… no. How do you know that they didn’t choose red as a symbol of Jesus’ blood? Hmmm? Or, more than likely, it is because red usually symbolizes Christmas. Its a cup people. If it is sooooo important to your faith that it has some Christmas decorations (that are not religious!) on it… ask the barista to draw you a Christmas tree or snowflake. Instead of boycotting Starbucks over red cups… how about you take that energy and share your faith with the barista who might not know Jesus? How about you buy a red cup of coffee for the homeless veteran on the street corner? Take that energy and use it to create a better, more Christian-like atmosphere around you. I am a Christian… and proud of it. But, you will NEVER see me getting upset over things like this. Do you think when you are standing in front of God on judgement day, he is going to say “Did you purchase a soy latte with two pumps in a red cup during the Christmas season 2015?” Probably not. He is going to ask you what Christian things you did and how you made him known to those who do not know him… A wise friend of mine said recently, “You can act religious and you can have a true, loving faith in God, but sometimes there is a difference.” This is so very true in this case. These individuals who are wound up about these stupid red cups need to take a close, hard look at themselves and decide if they are acting the way God would want them to act. It’s a cup. Should we boycott red Solo cups next? What about Ketchup? The true meaning and reason for Christmas is to celebrate Jesus… not some stupid snowflakes or Santa printed (or not printed) on a coffee cup. Chances are, Starbucks chose not to print anything because it was cheaper…
5. What ‘critter’ are you most afraid of encountering unexpectedly? Why that one?
Spiders. They give me the creepy crawlers.
6. Do you like building things? What’s the last thing you ‘built’?
Yes. I play Lego bricks all the time… sometimes without the kids!
7. In keeping with this month’s theme of gratitude…what are you most grateful for that brings beauty to your daily life?
8. Insert your own random thought here.
If you haven’t already and are in the Columbus, Ohio area… enter for a chance to win 2 tickets to the Lego Creativity Tour… NO ONE has entered and you have a very good chance to win tickets to the Friday night session! The link is in this post.