Wednesday Hodgepodge Vol. 228
Happy Wednesday! Hope you are having a great week. Longtime readers know that today is Wednesday Hodgepodge day! Wednesday Hodgepodge is a fun blog hop by Joyce where you answer random questions on your blog, link up with her and have some fun reading everyone’s answers. Ready? Let’s go!
1.July 15th is National Give Something Away Day. What can you give away? Will you?
I will still be in Appleton for work, so I am not sure what I could give away. Free advice? Sarcasm? I can give away any of those while I am here…
2. Do you have a mantra? Please share with the class if you feel comfortable doing so.
My personal mantra is “You’ve got this.” I tend to say it when things get tough or I am not sure how to do something or I get frustrated or discouraged.
3. Who does the grocery shopping in your house? How many times a week do you shop? Do you make a list or pray for inspiration in the produce aisle?
I do most of the grocery shopping. Don helps out sometimes. If I am doing the shopping, I shop once a week. Usually after church on Sunday. (Don, on the other hand, goes each day…) I usually have a very detailed list. I make a menu for each day and then make my list based on that.
4. Is there a TV show you’re embarrassed to say you watch? You’re going to tell us what it is, right?
I don’t know if embarrassed is a good word… but, people tend to give me a strange look when I mention it so I usually don’t… I have a love for BBC comedies. I LOVE Are you being served? If you aren’t familiar with the show – the concept is Young Mr. Grace (who is old) has taken over Grace Brothers store from Old Mr. Grace (who is dead). The show focuses on the characters from the “gents” department and the “ladies” department at the store. It is hilarious the antics they get into – and how they would push the envelope in the 70’s with sexual innuendo and political comments. I used to get into elevators and do the whole spiel that they have in the beginning:
Ground floor perfumery,
stationery and leather goods,
wigs and haberdashery
kitchenware and food…going up
First floor telephones,
gents ready-made suits,
shirts, socks, ties, hats,
underwear and shoes…going up
Second floor carpets,
travel goods and bedding,
material, soft furnishings,
restaurant and teas. Going down!
5. A recent article listed fifteen words we should eliminate from our (written) vocabulary in order to sound smarter- that, went, honestly, absolutely, very, really, amazing, always, never, literally, just, maybe, stuff, things, and irregardless. Of the fifteen, which word is your most overused?
I would probably have to say literally. I literally say it all the time. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)
6. So apparently dying your hair gray (in your youth!) is a thing right now. It’s called ‘The Granny Hair’ trend. Your thoughts?
I’ve been dying my hair since high school to COVER the grey… I am sure not dying my hair to BE grey. Crazy kids.
7. A while back Buzz Feed asked members to share the most beautiful sentence they’ve read in a piece of literature. A hard thing to narrow down, at least for me, but let’s try. What’s one of the most beautiful sentences you’ve ever read in a piece of literature?
Choose a place where you won’t do harm – yes, choose a place where you won’t do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine. ~ A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (1908)
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I am ready to go home and sleep in my own bed. Just sayin’.
Hi! Popping over from the Hodgepodge! I love your literary quote! Makes me want to go stand in the sunshine before I tackle the work day! 🙂 Hope you get home to your sweet family soon!