It’s the first day of October! I love fall! Not only am I doing the Wednesday Hodgepodge this week, but I came across the funniest sign over the weekend, and had to share it for Wordless Wednesday! It makes me laugh every time I think about it! So, ready or not… here comes October, the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and Wordless Wednesday…
1. Are the leaves turning color where you live? Have they begun to fall? Will you have to rake when it’s all said and done? Is that a chore you love or loathe?
They are turning colors, which I love. Some have started to fall. We don’t have to rake anymore because a couple of years ago we cut down the tree in our yard because it was rotten and dropping branches everywhere. I don’t mind raking because it reminds me when my mom used to rake our leaves in the backyard into a house shape with rooms and we would play. The “house” would be the size of half the backyard.
2. When did you last shake like a leaf?
I’d have to say when I had pneumonia a few years ago. I was running a really high temperature and couldn’t get warm to save my life.
3. After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by opponents as a ‘class act’, both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month too, with several players in that sport also making headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? Should a professional athlete be expected to act as role model or is that going beyond their job description? What responsibility do the organizations these athletes work for have when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior? Discuss.
Professional athletes have the responsibility to act like role models, not spoiled brats. I definitely think the organizations they work for should be responsible for making them behave. It is an employer-employee relationship… you couldn’t act like that at a normal job and get away with it.
4. What season of the year is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why?
Spring. My allergies go crazy.
5. The top six healthy food trends of 2014 according to Eating Well are-
clean eating (more veg, less meat, less sodium, limit alcohol and processed foods)
trash fish (you know those fish that get caught in fishermen nets and are thrown back? It seems chefs are finding creative ways to make them more appetizing)
cauliflower (this year’s IT vegetable)
kaniwa (essentially baby quinoa, so like quinoa only smaller)
fermentation (think pickling except with twists on flavor we’re not accustomed to)
community supported food (farms operating with community support/membership).
Okay-so how many of the hot healthy food trends for 2014 have you experienced, encountered, enjoyed? Any you’ve tried and said ewwww? Any on the list you’d like to try before year’s end?
I am all for clean eating, cauliflower, and community supported food. Not too sure about the trash fish or fermentation. That sounds kinda ick. As for the kaniwa… isn’t quinoa already small?
6. In seven words or less, bid September adieu.
When September goes, leaves begin to fall.
7. What’s something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it?
Trick or Treat.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Here’s my contribution to Wordless Wednesday. Enjoy.