I am a big meat eater (heck, look at me…). I am not big on vegetarian fare, but every once in awhile I like to try something new. I have never made stuffed peppers without some sort of meat… but, my ground turkey was outdated so I decided to try these meatless. Delicious. These vegetarian stuffed peppers are definitely going into the lineup at our house… make extras, they are even better the next day!
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 package herb rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 small can tomato sauce divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut peppers down center along stem. Remove seeds and membranes.
- Place peppers, cut side down, in a baking dish prepared with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Prepare rice mix as directed. When done, stir in 1/2 can of tomato sauce (4 ounces) and diced tomatoes. Combine.
- Add seasonings to rice and tomato mix, stir well.
- Remove from peppers from oven. Turn over peppers and stuff with 1/4 of rice mixture.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce on top of rice and peppers. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.