All Things Halloween
It’s Monday again. It’s time for Monday Listicles. This week’s topic is 10 Things Halloween. I love Halloween…. the costumes, the candy, the kids trick or treating, the decorations… all of it. Before I get started, next week’s topic is 10 Things That Bring Me Comfort. So, let’s get going…
Things Halloween I Love
- The Costumes: I love dressing up for Halloween. I always have. I try to “create my own” costumes from stuff I have on hand. One year, I was a pumpkin – made with a pumpkin leaf bag. Another year I was a drag racer. Last year, I dressed up like the tooth fairy and my friend at work dressed up like a dentist. Unfortunately, I didn’t dress up this year for work. I also love seeing the kids dress up and trick or treat.
- The Candy: My favorite Halloween candy is Kit Kats and Reese Cups. And, yes… I have already gotten them out of the kids’ candy bag.
- The Decorations: Fall is my favorite season, so I love any excuse to decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I decorate outside and inside. And, you never know where you might find a “special” touch of a spider…
- Pumpkins: I seriously think going to pick out a pumpkin – the whole hay ride/hay bale/farm thing – is one of the coolest parts of the holiday. I remember going to our local farmers market and taking a hay ride with my mom and dad to get our pumpkins, then coming home and carving them.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown: Halloween just isn’t Halloween without watching this movie.
How Our Halloween REALLY Was
- It poured and stormed on October 31st, which is when our trick-or-treat was. We got a “one-call” and they said it was still on and “parents needed to use their discretion on sending their children out.” WTH. My kids have never gone trick-or-treating… every year it has rained and I have had to pull together a last minute “party.”
- Our tradition is to have Taco Bell on Halloween. We’ve done it since we have been together. This year, we decided to get Chinese. The Hubs decided he wanted to try something new. I ended up with his dish – Kung Pao chicken – and he ate mine. The whole Chinese experience was ruined. I don’t like Kung Pao chicken.
- The kids and I were really sick with the creepy crud and we never got to go to the local farm and pick out pumpkins. Thank goodness they got a pumpkin at preschool.
- We found out the small town next to us had cancelled and rescheduled their Trick or Treat, so we dressed the kids up and took them up there on Saturday. The kids were so excited. Bo was Sonic the Hedgehog and Mo was a princess. (Pictures to follow soon!)
- We made it a street and a half and it started raining.
Darn rain! At least you got to go a little bit. I like the Taco Bell idea for dinner. I am always struggling with what to feed people. They never really want to eat anyway.
We must attract rain and cold on Halloween I Didn’t think we’ve had decent weather on beggars night since the kids have been old enough to go trick or treating. Glad they got to do a little before the skies opened up, I think they had lots fun. The chinese dinner was a bad choice or maybe just the kung po chicken, I’m sticking with general tso’s and next year its back to the bell.
Agreed. Why change tradition?
The funny thing is, except for the night we went, the kids haven’t asked once for their candy. That means more for mom and dad…
Luckily I don’t remember a Halloween around here when I rained. I do remember a few as a child. Bummers. Glad you had fun on Saturday night.
I love dressing up for Halloween. Sorry your fun was rained out! Have you tried Kung Pao shrimp? It’s one of my favorites? Or do you dislike Kung Pao in general?
Sorry to hear about the rain! I do love dressing up for Halloween too. I’m bummed I couldn’t find my silly lobster hat that I got at lobsterfest 2 years ago. Also I love the candy but my son is 16 months so no trick or treating for us. My waist is happy but I’m sad!
the rain certainly didnt bother the twins they talked about their tricking….and I dont think your kids like candy! not like their nana!
At least Bo didn’t do any tricks while we were out.
Next year! 🙂
I haven’t tried Kung Pao shrimp. I like cashews and nuts, but the dish was FULL of them.
We did. I can’t remember it ever raining when I was a kid.
Well, since we’re in Oregon it’s often raining, but there’s a lot of indoor Trick or Treat opportunities that we do instead. It was actually sort of sunny this year, so we even got to do an outdoor trip around a mall (seriously, who builds and open air outdoor mall in OREGON?). Your divided list made me smile.