It’s Monday again. It’s time for Monday Listicles. This week’s topic is 10 Things Halloween. I love Halloween…. the costumes, the candy, the kids trick or treating, the decorations… all of it. Before I get started, next week’s topic is 10 Things That Bring Me Comfort. So, let’s get going…
Things Halloween I Love
- The Costumes: I love dressing up for Halloween. I always have. I try to “create my own” costumes from stuff I have on hand. One year, I was a pumpkin – made with a pumpkin leaf bag. Another year I was a drag racer. Last year, I dressed up like the tooth fairy and my friend at work dressed up like a dentist. Unfortunately, I didn’t dress up this year for work. I also love seeing the kids dress up and trick or treat.
- The Candy: My favorite Halloween candy is Kit Kats and Reese Cups. And, yes… I have already gotten them out of the kids’ candy bag.
- The Decorations: Fall is my favorite season, so I love any excuse to decorate for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I decorate outside and inside. And, you never know where you might find a “special” touch of a spider…
- Pumpkins: I seriously think going to pick out a pumpkin – the whole hay ride/hay bale/farm thing – is one of the coolest parts of the holiday. I remember going to our local farmers market and taking a hay ride with my mom and dad to get our pumpkins, then coming home and carving them.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown: Halloween just isn’t Halloween without watching this movie.
How Our Halloween REALLY Was
- It poured and stormed on October 31st, which is when our trick-or-treat was. We got a “one-call” and they said it was still on and “parents needed to use their discretion on sending their children out.” WTH. My kids have never gone trick-or-treating… every year it has rained and I have had to pull together a last minute “party.”
- Our tradition is to have Taco Bell on Halloween. We’ve done it since we have been together. This year, we decided to get Chinese. The Hubs decided he wanted to try something new. I ended up with his dish – Kung Pao chicken – and he ate mine. The whole Chinese experience was ruined. I don’t like Kung Pao chicken.
- The kids and I were really sick with the creepy crud and we never got to go to the local farm and pick out pumpkins. Thank goodness they got a pumpkin at preschool.
- We found out the small town next to us had cancelled and rescheduled their Trick or Treat, so we dressed the kids up and took them up there on Saturday. The kids were so excited. Bo was Sonic the Hedgehog and Mo was a princess. (Pictures to follow soon!)
- We made it a street and a half and it started raining.