Summertime and the Living is Easy – Monday Listicles
Summertime, Summertime and the living is easy. This week’s Monday Listicles topic is all things summer. I am not going to lie and tell you that summer is my favorite season, because everyone knows it isn’t. I like autumn, when the leaves are changing and the weather is cool, the nights are crisp and the race car runs like it has wings. But, alas, I digress… So, these are the things that make me think summertime. Come link up and have some fun!
10 Things Summertime
- The first Reese Cup Blizzard of the season from the Dairy Queen. There is nothing like the first one each summer– all the others pale in comparison. Our DQ is so country, they literally use a mixer thingy on the end of a power drill (I don’t make this crap up) to make the Blizzards. Yummy.
- The sounds of drums echoing in the morning. I spent several hot, summer days standing on blacktop and dripping in sweat for band practice.
- The smell of fresh, clean, just-out-of-the-hose water in the kiddy pool. I can’t even describe the smell… but it screams summertime.
- The way the world looks through the lens of my sunglasses while I am out and about.
- Sitting on a porch and watching the fireflies twinkle as a storm rolls in.
- The coolness of walking into the library after walking uptown in the blistering heat.
- The feel of the wind blowing through your hair and across your face as you cruise around getting the “stink blown off you” as my dad used to say.
- The feel of a cool shower after being at the race track all day and night… sweaty and smelly…
- The sound of the cicadas in August.
- Fireworks. My favorite part of summer.
I love fireworks! We live so close to a baseball stadium and they have them almost every weekend from the end of spring until early fall. Before the tres got so big we could see them fromt he edge of our driveway.
AND NOTHING beats sitting on a porch….watching anything.
I just posted a picture on Instagram yesterday with my boys (and some of their friends) eating ice cream at the lake. It was the quintessential summer day – swimming until your eyes turn red, the smell of sunscreen everywhere and a melting ice cream from the ice cream truck. As a kid, does it get any better?
It’s storming where I am today and your post brought me right back into the sunshine:-)
Being a former marching band geek myself…I can totally relate :). One time at band camp….
And here I thought I was the only one who thought water smells different from a hose.
getting the stink blown off you…you mentioned that before, right? Still hilarious. practicing in your band? huh? I do love that smell of water in the hose too babe.
I’ve always wanted to experience fireflies – we don’t get those in So. Cal. I’ll have to visit a place in the future where I can share that with my kids. 🙂
What a lovely list. I have these new polarized sunglasses and I think I spend an hour talking to someone today while still wearing them. How rude, I know, but honestly you cannot say from the colors you got glasses on…
Excellent list!! Yes, that view of the world through sunglasses is awesome…I take that for granted so thanks for reminding me!
Ah band camp…WOW, those days were hot and sweaty. That brought back memories!
Oh, the smell of the baby pool filled with hose water. Awesome smell. Especially with the bits of grass floating in it. 🙂
Aaaand, is your Dairy Queen not open all year? Poor you.