Oh my! You have to try this Saucy Turkey Burger with Pico. This delicious burger is on the table as quick as it takes you to cook the turkey burger! Really. I was walking through the grocery store and stumbled across a bottle of chili sauce in the condiment aisle. I had never had it before, and it was on sale… so I thought “why not?” My next thought was “what can I make?” I came up with this saucy turkey burger with pico. This one comes in at 445 calories per burger (with bun and toppings). You could lower these totals by using 93% fat-free ground turkey and low or no-fat Swiss cheese… However, the deliciousness of this burger made those calories worth it in my book. Pair it with some delicious broccoli or cauliflower, and you are good to go. Oh my. Enjoy.
Saucy Turkey Burger with Pico
- 1 pound ground turkey breast OR 4 pre-formed ground turkey patties
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 Tablespoons Chili Sauce near ketchup, in the condiment aisle!
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 4 100% whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup fresh pico de gallo
- If using ground turkey breast, form four evenly-sized turkey patties from meat.
- Place patties in a large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Cook on one side until browned, approximately 2 minutes.
- Flip patties over and continue cooking on second side for an additional 2 minutes. Flip again, season with garlic salt and ground pepper. Continue cooking burgers, until no longer pink and a thermometer reads 165°F internally.
- Remove from heat. Top each burger with one slice of Swiss cheese. Allow to melt slightly.
- Place each burger on a bun bottom. Pour approximately 2 Tablespoons of chili sauce on each burger, followed by 1/8 cup pico. Top with bun and serve.