I’m alive! Barely! I have been fighting an ear infection since early Friday morning. I can’t remember the last time I was this sick… I slept all day Friday and all day Saturday. The only reason I dragged myself out of bed on Sunday was to work on homework. But, I definitely wanted to share this recipe for S.O.B. Panini this week! And, you can most definitely make this just like a grilled cheese in a skillet if you don’t have a panini maker!
Now, you might be wondering why it is called an S.O.B. When Nana and I went to Arizona, we ate at this diner on Route 66 that offered an S.O.B. I asked what it was and the waitress said, “Honey, when you bite into it, you will say ‘son-of-a-…'” Of course, I had to try it. And then recreate it. Basically, it is just a roast beef sandwich, mozzarella cheese and hot jalapenos. No mild peppers here. It has to live up to it’s name! Don and I have tried different versions since the Route 66 version, but this one by far is the best. Enjoy.
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 8 ounces roast beef
- 8 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar HOT pickled jalapenos
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Spread butter on one side of a slice of bread. Place on panini maker or in skillet over medium heat.
- Layer two slices of cheese on top of bread. Top with several jalapenos.
- Layer 4 ounces of roast beef on top of jalapenos.
- Layer more jalapenos on top of roast beef.
- Add two more slices of cheese.
- Spread butter on a second slice of bread. Top sandwich with bread, butter side up.
- Follow panini maker instructions to grill sandwich, or allow to brown slightly in skillet (4-5 minutes) then flip over and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Continue with second sandwich.