Recently, I had the opportunity to interview Dr. Carmen Catizone, the Executive Director of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy Foundation (NABP). I was able to ask him several questions about prescription drug abuse and about the NABP’s AWARXE website and the Drug Enforcement Agency’s drug Take-Back Day on April 26th.
- Over 6 million Americans use prescription drugs such as pain relievers, tranquilizers, and stimulants non-medically
- More than half the prescription drug abusers aged 12 or older obtain the drugs from family or friends
- The number of children 5 and older seen in the emergency rooms for prescription drug self-exposure has increased dramatically
- Over 88% of the 10,000 internet pharmacies not recommended by NABP do not require a doctor’s prescription
- Counterfeit drugs can be deadly
- Between 1998 and 2008, the number of people who were admitted for drug abuse treatment who abused prescription drugs grew more than 4 times
- 4 out of 10 teens believe that using prescription drugs is safer than illegal drugs, even if not prescribed by their physician
You can visit the AWARXE website to get more information, as well as find locations that will take back old drugs for proper disposal. I highly recommend you read the R U SAFE page to ensure your home and medicine cabinet is as safe as possible for your family and friends.
Prescription drug abuse IS drug abuse.
Please take time today to learn about this very serious problem and watch the video below for my interview with Dr. Catizone where he discusses what prescription drug abuse is, what signs to look for, and what to do with old drugs you have around the house.
This post was written for social good. No compensation was received. All information and pictures used with permission.