When Taco Bell took away my favorite menu item – Mexican Pizza – I wanted to cry! It was my go-to order whenever I went to Taco Bell. The other day I remembered I had this recipe for Mexican Pizza, that is actually BETTER than Taco Bell’s version!
- 12 soft taco shells
- 8 ounces ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small can black olives drained
- 1 jar picante sauce
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese shredded
- additional toppings as desired
- Brown meat in non-stick skillet. When no longer pink, drain and add a few spoons of the picante sauce to the meat. Just enough to make it ‘wet’.
- In another non-stick skillet, over medium-low heat, begin “frying” the taco shells for approximately 1-2 minutes on each side. (This depends on how crunchy you want your crust.)
- Place one taco shell crust on the plate, spoon 1-2 Tablespoons of refried beans onto the crust. Smooth to edges.
- Top with second crust. Spread 1-2 Tablespoons of picante sauce on top to edges. Top with ground meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese and place under broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese just begins to melt.
- Top with onions, olives and tomatoes or any other toppings.