This recipe for lemon garlic and onion chicken started out as a recipe for pork chops. In a hurry earlier in the week, I used the pork chops and only had chicken left. So, my recipe turned into Lemon Garlic and Onion Chicken. And, it was a delicious “mistake.” If you are lucky enough to come across some “young garlic” at your local farmer’s market, use the entire piece… green shoots and peeled bulb. It adds a robust flavor that is unbelievable. Enjoy!
Lemon Garlic and Onion Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large sweet onion sliced and rings separated
- 4 stalks "young garlic" bulbs peeled, and greens and bulbs sliced OR 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced finely OR 2-3 Tablespoons jarred minced garlic
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1-2 Tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until tender-crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Flatten the chicken breasts, between two pieces of plastic wrap until a uniform thickness is achieved.
- Add chicken breasts to same skillet, adding more olive oil if needed. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Cook chicken on one side for approximately 5 minutes. Season with 1 Tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Flip over chicken and season with remaining lemon pepper and salt. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Continue flipping chicken and allowing to cook until juices run pink and internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- Reduce heat to low. Top each chicken breast with 1/4 of onion and garlic mixture.
- Pour lemon juice over chicken breasts and garlic/onion mixture. and allow to cook for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.