Happy Tuesday! Today, I am sharing my healthy buffalo chicken pizza. Yummy! This pizza is so delicious and easy. If hot wings aren’t your thing, you can easily use a healthy barbecue sauce or a low-sodium marinade. This amazing pizza hits the best of both worlds – wings and pizza. How can you go wrong on your next family movie night?
Quick note: the “green things” that are on my pizza are garlic scapes. Garlic scapes are a very short-season delicacy in late spring. They are actually the flower part (which never flowers) of the garlic plant. You can chop them up and use them just as you would green onions or scallions. They give your dishes a sweet, garlicky flavor. You can find them at farmer’s markets. They freeze very well, so buy plenty!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 whole wheat pizza dough preferably homemade
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups buffalo-style hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 large red onion sliced thinly and rings separated
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 stalks green onions OR garlic scapes sliced thinly
- Low-fat ranch dressing optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken in baking dish and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes or until juices are no longer pink.
- Roughly dice chicken into small pieces.
- In large bowl, toss chicken in buffalo sauce to coat.
- Meanwhile, spread whole wheat pizza crust on pizza pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake pizza crust for 1/2 the time required per instructions.
- Remove crust from oven and dump the entire bowl of chicken and hot sauce on top of the pizza. Spread evenly.
- Layer red onions on top of chicken, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle green onions or garlic scapes on top of cheese and return pan to oven.
- Continue baking pizza for the additional time required per the crust instructions.
- Serve with low-fat ranch dressing drizzled on top, if desired