Are you looking for a quick and easy appetizer for a tailgating party? These delicious Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Meatballs are the bomb! You can make these delicious meatballs three days ahead and then throw them into a CrockPot with the sauce for game day. They are even delicious on a sub bun with Provolone cheese.
I had a hankering for meatballs the other day, but all I had in the fridge was ground chicken that I had planned to use for something else. I started thinking about grape jelly meatballs and how much I like those… and then thought, why not Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Meatballs? Plus… bonus…. they are baked!
What is in this amazing recipe?
This recipe is so simple, with just a few ingredients, it can be thrown together and in the oven in just a few minutes.
- Ground chicken
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Panko bread crumbs
- Crushed pineapple
- BBQ sauce
- Soy sauce (optional)
How to Make Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Meatballs
This recipe has two components – the meatball and the sauce. For the meatballs, you throw together the chicken, seasonings, garlic and breadcrumbs and mix well with your hands. Form the mixture into 18 golf-size meatballs and arrange in a baking dish prepared with cooking spray. While these are baking, make the sauce by combining the pineapple and its juice, BBQ sauce and a tad of soy sauce.
- Turkey. Not a fan of ground chicken? Try these delicious meatballs with ground turkey instead.
- Mix-ins. Some great add-ins would be chives, ground ginger, hot sauce, or even a little bit of shredded cheese.
- Change up the sauce. You can make these using different types of sauce – from smoky and sweet to mild or hot.
More Favorite Appetizer Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious appetizers for the party, try one of these other recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Stuffed Jalapenos
- Vidalia Onion & Peach Salsa
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Air Fried Chicken Wings
- Fall off the Bone Wings in the Instant Pot
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley optional
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 cup BBQ sauce your choice on flavor/heat level
- 4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine the meatball ingredients, using your hands, until just blended.
- Using your hands, form golf-ball size meatballs. Arrange in baking dish without them touching each other.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- In large skillet, over low heat, whisk together sauce ingredients.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, on low.
Putting it all Together
- When meatballs are finished baking, place them in skillet with sauce. Stir to coat each meatball well. Serve hot or place in CrockPot on low with remaining sauce.