This Handkerchief Table Runner is a project I shared a few years ago. I love having this table runner on the table because it is so Spring-like. I thought a repost for Throwback Thursday was definitely in order. If you can sew a straight line… you can make this fun table runner. I promise.
Hankies are a thing of the past, it seems. However, you can still find some beautiful vintage hankies at thrift stores or online. The ones I chose for this table runner were actually new and I ordered them off Ebay for a few dollars. So, just because you do not have vintage hankies, don’t be discouraged! Hit Ebay or Etsy and see what you can come up with!
- Hankies (washed and ironed)
- Sewing machine
- You will need to determine how many hankies you will need for the length of your particular table. The ones I purchased were 12 x 12″, but these can vary – especially if they are vintage.
- Lay out your hankies in a pleasing pattern – as you can see, mine were all floral designs, but I arranged them to flow smoothly with the color combinations. Prior to sewing, you also need to make sure the edges match closely – some of mine were odd-shaped after washing them. I just turned those sides to the outside to keep a smooth seam.
- Stitch two hankies, right sides together, along one edge. Continue stitching each hankie to the one before until your table runner is the length you desire. Note: Depending on the finished edges of your hankies, you might decide to leave the seams exposed (see below)- if you do this, you will need to sew the hankies WRONG sides together.
- Place on your table and enjoy!