This is a repost of a project I did in 2014.
If you daughter is crazy about her dolls like mine is, you understand the continuous search for free and easy clothes patterns on the Internet. They are out there, but are really hard to find. Recently, I had made Mo bunk beds for her dolls and wanted to make her nightgowns to go with them. Do you know how hard it is to find FREE doll nightgown patterns? I couldn’t find any that were free and I refuse to pay for something that should be free because it is so simple.
Never fear, I have created my own nightgown pattern for 18″ dolls and I am sharing it with you today! For free! It is so easy, all you need is basic sewing machine skills! Ready? Let’s get started!
- Fabric, approximately 1/2 yard
- Matching thread
- 5-1/2″ narrow hook and eye tape
- Sewing machine, pins, scissors, etc
1. Cut out pattern pieces.
2. With right sides together, sew top armhole seam together. Note: all seams are 1/4″. Repeat on second armhole.
3. Next, turn under the neck 1/8″ and baste, then turn under again 1/8″ and finish. Another option – which is easier- is to create a seam binding. Take a 1/4″ strip of fabric, fold in half and iron. Pin the raw edges to the neck opening toward the front of the gown. Fold strip to the back, press, and then finish opening. (See photo below.)
4. Turn under the armholes under 1/8″ and baste, then turn under again 1/8″ and finish. You can also finish these using the seam binding method in step 3.
5. With right sides together, sew side seams with a 1/4″ allowance.
6. Turn under raw edges on hem and baste. Turn hem again and stitch to finish.
7. Sew back center seam up to closure notch.
8. Fold raw edges of notch over 1/8″ and baste. Turn closure back remainder of the notch length and pin hook and eye tape to gown. Stitch hook and eye tape to gown.
And, now your doll is ready for bed!
This pattern will also make a cute, easy sundress if made out of cotton or some other light fabric.
For printable instructions, click here. To access the pattern, click here.