This Cowboy Bake is a twist on my carry-in standby, Cowboy Casserole. While Cowboy Casserole is delicious by itself, I wanted a meatier option that could be a complete meal in and of itself. So, I created this dish. While it may not be the prettiest dish, it is delicious and so filling. Perfect for a chilly autumn evening…
- 2 boxes Au Graten potatoes
- Ingredients to make potatoes per package instructions
- 1 lb ground turkey OR ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies drained well
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 package bacon pieces OR 6 slices crisp bacon crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small can black olives optional
- In a 9 x 13" pan, prepare Au Graten potatoes per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, brown meat and onion until meat is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in mustard and Ketchup, until well combined. Mix in bacon pieces.
- When Au Graten potatoes are done, layer ground meat mixture over top of potatoes and spread evenly.
- Arrange canned tomatoes over top of meat mixture.
- Top with 2 cups shredded cheese.
- Return to oven set at 350 degrees. Allow to bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with black olives, if desired.