Today’s recipe for Chicken Tortellini Soup was one of those grocery store creations that I come up with standing in the aisle. I was hankering for homemade chicken noodle soup, but I wanted something with a bit more substance to it. So, while walking through the deli and dairy area, I saw refrigerated cheese tortellini and thought… Aha!
This was quick and easy to throw together… and to prove to you that we live in the real world… my tortellini fell apart a bit. So, unlike me, make sure you read the instructions on the tortellini package!
Serve this chicken tortellini soup with some crusty French bread or garlic bread and enjoy!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound chicken thighs skin removed
- 4-5 each carrots cleaned and sliced into rounds
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery ribs diced
- 2 cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans low sodium beef broth
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 package refrigerated OR frozen cheese tortellini approx. 2.5 cups
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- In non-stick skillet, saute chicken thighs until no longer pink, (adding water as needed to keep from sticking).
- Remove chicken from skillet and shred or cut into bite size pieces. Return to pan. Add carrots, onions, and celery to skillet.
- Saute until vegetables are tender-crisp, approximately 7-8 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- In soup pot over medium heat, add chicken broth, beef broth, onion soup mix, black pepper, garlic salt, red pepper flakes (if desired) and chicken/vegetable mixture. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Based on tortellini package directions, add tortellini and continue cooking until indicated.
- Serve hot with crackers, crusty bread, or garlic bread.