Welcome to Tasty Tuesday! Today’s recipe is Cheesburger Joes. Super quick, super delicious, and super cheesy. Can’t beat that? This sandwich would be perfect for a busy school night or for a quick lunchtime meal on the weekends. It is perfect for leftover rice from another meal. Please, get inventive– put your own spin on it! Add some bacon, tomatoes, olives– whatever you think sounds good! It’s a great way to sneak in some veggies! Enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked rice OR 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 pound ground beef OR turkey
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bread of choice (i.e. pita pockets, deli thins, buns, bread, etc.)
- Brown ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic in large skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook rice (if uncooked) according to package directions.
- When beef is no longer pink, and onions and garlic are tender, drain grease.
- Add cooked rice, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper to skillet. Stir to incorporate.
- Cover and let simmer for 5-6 minutes until heated.
- Add cheese and stir to incorporate. Cover until cheese melts (approximately 2 minutes).
- Serve on bread of choice.