These baked beans are the best darn baked beans ever! Everyone says so! With summer here, and picnics (hopefully) being planned, you definitely need to make these delicious beans! This scrumptious side dish started more as a “creation” and morphed into these deliciously sweet and tangy baked beans that guests were begging to take home. I hope you enjoy them!
Best Darn Baked Beans
- 1/2 pound bacon OR 1/2 pound ground pork not sausage
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon dried mustard
- 2 cans tomato paste divided (for thickening)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can regular root beer not diet
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons yellow prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons locally sourced honey
- 1 large can Bush’s baked beans country-style
- 1 regular can chili beans with sauce drained but not rinsed
- 1 regular can Northern beans drained but not rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown pork or fry bacon with onions in pan until pork is done or bacon is desired crispness. Drain grease.
- Prepare crock pot by spraying with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients in the crock pot, except tomato paste, stir to combine thoroughly.
- Allow to cook on low for approximately 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About an hour prior to serving, check consistency of the beans. If it is too thin/soupy, add one can of tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Allow to heat for 10 minutes or so. If still thin/soup, add the second can of tomato paste. In the rare instance the beans are too thick, stir water OR root beer 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste test before serving to adjust tangyness or sweetness to your desired flavor. More tang: add more yellow mustard. More sweet: add more brown sugar.
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired
Want more great recipes? Click here!