This Barbie® doll ball gown pattern and tutorial is so simple, you can have Barbie® dressed and dancing with Ken® in an hour! Mo just recently, once she realized I knew how to sew, has asked me to start making clothes for her dolls and ponies. After a lot of trial and error, the ball gown pattern I am sharing with you today is perfect for beginning (and little) seamstresses.
This ball gown only takes a fat-quarter’s worth of fabric. These are the little folded squares of fabric that are used for quilting. You can usually get them at fabric and other big-box stores (with a fabric department) for around $2.00. You only need one fat-quarter, unless you want different colors for the bodice and skirt.
Are you ready to get started?
- 1 fat-quarter
- thread to match
- 3″ narrow hook and loop tape
- straight pins
- sewing machine
- ball gown pattern
NOTE: There is a 1/4″ seam allowance on all pieces (already included in the pattern).
1. Wash and dry fabric. Iron if needed.
2. Following pattern, lay out pieces and pin down. The skirt front and bodice front are to be cut on the fold. If there is a noticeable pattern (stripes), make sure the grain markings are in line with the pattern. (Note: you might have to cut the skirts first, and then arrange the bodice pieces, depending on the fabric.)
3. Once you are satisfied with the pattern placement, cut your pieces out. Do not cut on the lines for the darts. Do not add a seam allowance, it is already included in the patterns. Transfer the dart lines to the back of the bodice piece. (I actually use a crayon for this, because it doesn’t show!)
4. Match the dart lines, right sides together, and pin. Sew darts, starting from top and working down to waist.
5. Sew the bodice back sides to the bodice front, right sides together. Turn under top edge, 1/4″ and finish. (No comments on my sewing! Mo was helping me guide the fabric.)
6. Fold under the hemline of both skirts twice (hiding raw edge) and finish.
7. With right sides together, stitch the sides of the skirt front and skirt backs together.
8. Using your longest possible stitch setting, baste the top of the skirt piece. Carefully, pull the bobbin strings to gather the material.
9. With right sides together and matching side seams, pin the bodice to the gather skirt. Pulling or loosening gathers as needed to fit skirt to bodice exactly. Pin well.
10. Sew back of dress, right-sides together,from bottom hemline to marked line on pattern piece.
11. Fold remaining back (unsewn) opening of dress under 1/4″ and baste. Attach hook and loop tape to folded edge. Sew to secure hook and loop tape.
Barbie® is ready to dance the night away at the ball!
[php snippet=1]Tags: Crafts, Sewing