I love a good donut. Throw in a delicious, sugary topping and I am all for it! Of course, donuts are usually fried and really aren’t that good for you. But, my recipe for baked cinnamon sugar donuts is a delicious alternative! They don’t even taste like they are baked! They do take a bit to make, but they are SOOOOOO worth it. Enjoy!
Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place 1/4 cup of the warm milk in the bowl of a bread maker. Sprinkle the yeast over the milk. Let set for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining milk, sugar and butter. Add to the yeast mixture.
- Stir gently to combine slightly.
- Add egg and stir until incorporated.
- Add the flour, nutmeg, and salt.
- Set the bread machine on the dough setting and let it do its thing.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Roll the dough out into 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using a donut cutter (or two different-sized circle cookie cutters), cut out donuts until there isn't any dough left.
- Place the donuts on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray, about 2 inches apart.
- Cover with a clean towel and allow to sit for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 7 minutes until lightly golden brown. Do not overbake.
- Remove the donuts and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place melted butter in shallow bowl. Mix sugar and cinnamon together.
- Dip the donuts halfway into the butter, then immediately into the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Allow to set an additional 5 minutes and enjoy!