Sorry this is so late and that I was MIA yesterday. The life of an accountant who doesn’t remember to plan ahead her posts… I got home so late last night, poor Don had to eat pizza rolls for dinner! But, I am sharing this delicious recipe for baked apple French toast. You can serve this with powdered sugar like I did or with the optional crumbly topping. Enjoy!
There are many versions of baked apple French toast on the Internet, but most of them require you to make the dish ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It kinda defeats the speediness of French toast. So, I created my own version that requires just a short time baking in the oven.
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In large bowl, beat together eggs, yolks, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dunk each piece of bread into egg mixture, soaking both sides.
- Place in skillet in small batches (2-3 slices) and cook until golden on both sides.
- Layer 6 slices of cooked French toast, with sides touching, on a cookie sheet sprayed with baking spray.
- Evenly spread apple pie filling on top.
- Place remaining 6 slices on top of apple filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with powdered sugar or topping (recipe in notes section.)
Tags: Easy Recipes, Main Dishes, Recipes