My sister-in-law wanted to compare recipes for Arroz con Pollo – and trust me, I am sure hers is MUCH better. Maybe she will let me share hers sometime soon… That being said, however… this is a pretty darn good rendition of Arroz con Pollo! It takes about an hour in the oven, but you can throw it together and forget about it until it is time to eat. Serve it with a little (OR ALOT) of jalapeno peppers and you are good to watch the game!
Arroz con Pollo
- 1-3/4 cups instant rice brown OR white
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 can chicken broth 14.5 ounces
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Jalapenos if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread uncooked rice in the bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with garlic salt and black pepper and arrange on top of rice.
- In a bowl, combine chicken broth, picante sauce, tomato sauce, onion and green pepper.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken evenly.
- Cover with foil and bake for 55 minutes or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees.
- Remove from oven and top with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with jalapenos, if desired.
Nutrition calculated for reference only. Please recalculate using your specific ingredients.