Happy World Water Day! What does safe and clean drinking water mean to you? Did you know that 783 million people around the world do not have access to safe drinking water? That’s 11% of the world’s population! This results in over 2000 children dying each day. That is 700,000 children a year.
Consider these statistics:
- 2.5 billion people in the world do not have access to adequate sanitation
- 700,000 children die each year from unsafe drinking water and poor sanitation
- The average person in North America uses 400 liters of water a day.
- The average person in developing countries uses 10 liters of water a day.
WaterAid helps transform the lives of people around the world by providing safe drinking water and to improve their hygiene and sanitation. WaterAid providing clean water and sanitation in developing countries around the world is just the beginning. Water is a ticket out of poverty. The time women and children spend carrying water for miles can instead be spent with family– tending crops, raising livestock or even starting a business. Changes to hygiene and sanitation can save thousands of children’s lives and keep children from missing school.
How can you help?
- Follow WaterAid America on Twitter and Facebook and share their posts on the #20ways that water is just the beginning of the road out of poverty
- Join the World Water Day Google+ Hangout at 1.30pm EST on March 22 – WaterAid and other water organizations will be discussing the world water crisis and solutions in a celebration moderated by YouTube star Justine Ezarik.
- Make a donation: WaterAid has brought clean water to 17.5 million people. But they need your help to achieve their aim of helping 1.4 million more people this year.
I believe clean water and sanitation should be a right, not a luxury.
Where I might be partying today: Blog Party List
Freedom Fridays, Get Crafty Fridays, Foodtastic Friday, Weekend Potluck, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Friday Pin Fest, BFF Open House, Best of the Weekend, Pinworthy Projects, Friday Favorites, Fancy This Fridays, Friday Link Party, Anything Goes Linky, and No Rules Weekend.
Have you linked up on the Weekday Mixer yet?