Wednesday. Time for the Hodgepodge! The week is half over and I am so thankful we have nothing planned this weekend. This past weekend was a blur. So, on to the questions…
1. May is National Blood Pressure Month…what sends yours soaring, either literally or figuratively? What calms you down? When did you last have your bp checked?
Stupid people or people with no common sense. I just wish I could knock them up side the head. When I get stressed (and my BP) rises, I do what I do when I have panic attacks. I close my eyes and picture myself in my little safe haven in the woods– log cabin, bubbling brook, wild flowers…. peace and tranquility. I had my BP checked last week at the doctors — 118/89, thank you very much.
2. You just found $1-what do you spend it on? How about $10 or $ 100?
$1– I’d probably buy a candy bar. $10 — I’d probably buy a book or something fun. $100 — probably scrapbooking paper/supplies.
3. Mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food has been proposed, but not enacted in the US. How much attention do you give food labels before you buy? Are you in favor of labeling if it means an increase in food prices? Is this an issue you’ve been following and feel strongly about, or is this the first you’ve heard of the controversy?
I have not heard about this controversy and I am not sure I even want to know what genetically engineered food is. I do pay attention to the food labels. I try to not give my kids anything with artificial sweeteners in them. I do check for calories, etc. also. I would hope it wouldn’t increase food prices– it seems like food prices are so high already.
4. May 15th marks the birthdate of Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz. At this point in time, are you more in need of brains, courage, heart, or a trip back home? Explain.
Definitely courage. I don’t have a good dose of self-esteem. Never have. But, I am trying to work on it. Too bad I couldn’t go visit the Wonderful Wizard of Oz for help…. oh wait, didn’t they discover they already possessed those things?
5. “There’s no place like home” is an oft-repeated line from Baum’s book. When was the last time you felt the truth of that statement?
Hmmmm. I really don’t know. The only time I can really think of that I was stressing being away from home was when I was in the hospital for my c-section. I wanted to go home so bad the next day. My doctor said she would release me, but to keep in mind they would wait on me hand and foot at the hospital and it wouldn’t happen at home… I stayed. LOL.
6. Steak…yes please or no thank you? What cut do you prefer and how do you like yours cooked? Sauce or no sauce? Besides your own kitchen, where’s a place you like to go to get a great steak?
Oh my. Definitely yes. Slap it on the butt and throw it on the plate. My favorite is a rib eye (yes, I know… major fat and marbling). Really, any good cut of steak– sirloin, prime rib. No sauce. We don’t have any really good steak houses around here… but, the best one I have had lately was at Gibson’s in Chicago. Oh my. Steaks that good should be illegal. It was a sirloin encrusted with Parmesan cheese and garlic. Best. Steak. Ever. As in, if I do something to warrant the death penalty, THAT will be my final meal.
7. When was the last time you were in a genuine hurry?
This is an every day occurrence for me. So, being in a hurry isn’t anything abnormal.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I took mom to see Sound of Music for Mother’s Day. We had a wonderful time. The show was amazing. The woman who played Maria was spectacular. And, the kids that played the von Trapp children were awesome. The little girl who played Gretel, I just wanted to give a huge hug to. So cute. I cried… I cried when the Captain sang Edelweiss at the festival and at the end when the head nun was singing Climb Every Mountain as they family left the abbey. Random, little known fact: I walked down the aisle to the same music they played in the Sound of Music during Maria’s wedding… and no, not the “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?” part.[php snippet=3] [php snippet=8]