This is a quick and easy recipe for stuffed peppers– super delicious and chances are you have the ingredients already on hand. I adapted this from another recipe I had– this one doesn’t have a sauce with it, like most stuffed peppers do. But, it is delicious… and even better the second day, so make extras for lunch!
If you are an avid reader of my blog, you will know this recipe comes with a warning:
USE HOT PADS WHILE COOKING
Quick version of the story: I was cooking these while writing a paper for school. I went into the kitchen, grabbed the hot pads to take the dish out of the oven and sprinkle on the cheese. I laid the hot pads on top of the stove. I sprinkled the cheese on and then grabbed the dish SANS hot pads to put it back into the oven. Burnt fingers and a research paper– not a good combination.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 pepper
- Calories: 301
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 23
- Cholesterol: 70
- 4 green peppers (or other color)
- ½ pound lean Italian ground turkey sausage
- 1 box or package of seasoned long-grain rice
- 4 ounces Mozarella cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Wash and dry green peppers. Slice off top of pepper, just below stem. Set aside tops. Clean out insides and place peppers in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Dice up top of peppers, discarding stems
- Brown sausage in skillet with diced pepper tops and diced onions.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package instructions.
- When sausage is no longer pink, add meat mixture to rice mixture in sauce pan. Stir to incorporate.
- Season meat and rice mixture with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Spoon evenly into bell peppers, until mixture is even with top of pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until peppers are somewhat tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1 ounce of cheese on each pepper.
- Put dish back into oven under the broiler for 5 minutes to melt cheese.