It’s month end, Vacation Bible School Week and I am sick… sinuses are whackado. So, I am sharing a repost from several months ago featuring my Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
We had these jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches Sunday for lunch and I couldn’t wait to share the recipe! Well, that was after my eyes stopped tearing up from the pepper capsaicin. When they tell you to use gloves, they really mean it. I have been tossing around making something with these fresh jalapenos they had at our grocery store. I wanted to make jalapeno poppers, but didn’t want to have to go to all the trouble for just a few poppers. This, my friends, is the next best thing. Enjoy!
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 8 slices bread
- 8 slices low fat American cheese
- 8 ounces softened, low fat cream cheese
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- GLOVES! (Trust me.)
- Wearing gloves, wash and dry peppers. Cut both ends off each pepper, then slice in half lengthwise.
- With your knife flat against the inside of the pepper, scrape the seeds and ribs out. Flatten pepper with your hand against cutting board.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Place peppers inside down on the skillet, pressing down with spatula.
- Cook peppers for 2-3 minutes; flip and cook the outside for 2-3 minutes. Remove from skillet to plate and set aside.
- Spread ½ Tablespoon of butter on each slice of bread. On the opposite side of each slice of bread, spread 1 ounce of cream cheese to edges. (You will have 8 slices with butter on one side and cream cheese on the other side.)
- Layer, in skillet, 1 slice bread with butter down, 1 slice cheese, 2 jalapeno halves, 1 slice cheese, then the top piece of bread with the butter side up/cream cheese inside.
- Cook over medium-low heat until toasted, then flip sandwich over with spatula and continue to cook until the second side is toasted.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining two sandwiches.