This Cowboy Bake is a twist on my carry-in standby, Cowboy Casserole. While Cowboy Casserole is delicious by itself, I wanted a meatier option that could be a complete meal in and of itself. So, I created this dish. While it may not be the prettiest dish, it is delicious and so filling. Perfect for a chilly autumn evening…
- 2 boxes Au Graten potatoes
- Ingredients to make potatoes per package instructions
- 1 lb ground turkey OR ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies drained well
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 package bacon pieces OR 6 slices crisp bacon crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small can black olives optional
In a 9 x 13" pan, prepare Au Graten potatoes per package instructions.
Meanwhile, brown meat and onion until meat is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in mustard and Ketchup, until well combined. Mix in bacon pieces.
When Au Graten potatoes are done, layer ground meat mixture over top of potatoes and spread evenly.
Arrange canned tomatoes over top of meat mixture.
Top with 2 cups shredded cheese.
Return to oven set at 350 degrees. Allow to bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Top with black olives, if desired.