Don makes the best enchiladas… me, not so much. I am not sure why his are so good… maybe because I am not the one making them! I created this chicken enchiladas penne dish as a delicious alternative to regular enchiladas. It uses all the same ingredients, minus the tortilla shells, and is even better the next day! Try it with all your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
Chicken Enchiladas Penne
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 large can about 1-1/4 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 small can corn drained (optional)
- 1 regular can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup jarred sliced jalapenos drained (optional)
Prepare pasta per package directions. Drain and return to pot.
Dice cooked chicken breasts into 1" pieces. Add to pasta pot.
Combine enchilada sauce, corn, black beans, 1 cup cheese, cream cheese, and seasonings with pasta. Cook over medium-low heat until cream cheese blends smoothly with pasta.
Serve with additional shredded cheese on top, jalapenos or whatever toppings are desired.
If sauce is too thick after adding all ingredients, add milk 1/8 cup at a time until desired consistency is created.