Last week on the radio, I heard a commercial for thermometer and the announcer said it was the “must-have” item for new parents. It made me laugh because while I was pregnant I was bombarded with advice of items I needed and ended up never, ever using. As a new twin parent, you fall into the trap of “gotta have two” of everything… you really don’t. I thought today, I’d share my 10 Items Twin Parents Need.
- Two nursing pillows… you know, the ones that are the half circle with the hole in the center. We used them all the time… as extra hands while feeding, to prop them up on the floor, for mommy and daddy to take a quick nap. You definitely need two. I was the master of feeding two babies at once with these pillows.
- Membership to a local warehouse club – Diapers. Bulk. Cheap. Enough said. (Formula too, but check with your doctor before switching.)
- Forehead thermometer – this is a lifesaver. If you are checking temps, you can just do a quick swipe and get the reading.
- A “bag of tricks” – this is a traveling bag that will go with you in public places. Inside, you will put fun, interesting, unique toys that the babies/kids normally don’t get to play with daily. When they get fussy or cranky, you pull out a “trick” and entertain them. Mine even had one of those little fuzzy worm things with the invisible string… I’d run it across the table or my hand and the kids would howl with laughter. Our twins are almost 6, and I still have a bag of tricks in my purse when we go out.
- A good come back – You need to pre-plan what you will reply when someone interrupts the first hot meal you have had in days with the inevitable question “Are they twins?” And, trust me… they will. Have fun with this. The best one I have heard is when they ask say, “No, this one I had and that one I found in the parking garage on the way out of the hospital.”
- Double umbrella stroller – Even though you have the front to back, car-seat-holding stroller. You are going to want a side by side umbrella stroller for quick errands or for walks around the neighborhood. It beats pushing a truck around. Just sayin’.
- Onesies and knit pants – Yes, the coordinating/matching outfits are super cute. But, when you have twins you don’t have time to play dress up. Buy multiple onesies and multiple pairs of knit pants. Create outfits. Go. You’ll thank yourself in the long run.
- TWO formula traveling containers – You can usually find these at Babies R Us for a few bucks. If you are going to be out and about, you pre-measure your formula into the divided sections and can just dump it into the bottle when you need it. But, definitely buy two… you have twins, remember? (I tried with one container… trust me on this one. There was a frenzied stop for formula.)
- Car Stash – Always have extra diapers, wipes, burp rags, trash bags, and changes of clothes (for YOU and the twins) in your car. Just leave them there all the time, but remember to change out the clothes as they grow. This will save you time and if you get in a dirty-diaper-pinch, you will be ready. It will also save you from having to carry a suitcase with you wherever you go. My diaper bag looked like carry-on luggage until I got smart.
- Your Poison of Choice – (Coffee, soda, chocolate, etc.) You have to remember to take care of yourself. There are going to be nights you will not sleep. Someone ought to tell you now. There are stretches of days that I don’t even remember sleeping. It sucks. But, it is the most rewarding thing you will ever do. So, make sure you have something to get you through the day. They do grow up… and, its still crazy… but, its a lot more fun.
While this post is snarky, there is some truth behind it. Don’t fall into the gotta have two of everything. Really. Unless, its two large pieces of Godiva chocolate. You definitely need two of those.